Publications 5 Key Takeaways | International Tidbits: An Overview of Unitary Patents, Brand Protection in China, Import and Export Controls, and Compliance
Kilpatrick Townsend recently held its annual KTIPS (Kilpatrick Townsend Intellectual Property Seminar). Firm attorneys led a day of interactive discussions with clients on the latest developments in intellectual property law and their impact on patent and trademark strategies. Kilpatrick Townsend attorneys Maria Baratta, Kristin Doyle, Adria Perez, and Gunjan Talati presented “International Tidbits: An Overview of Unitary Patents, Brand Protection in China, Import and Export Controls, and Compliance.”
Mr. Talati’s five takeaways from the presentation include:
- Don’t forget that intellectual property is subject to export controls!
- Before sending technical data abroad, evaluate whether an export license is needed.
- Exports come in different flavors: physically, electronically, written, and even verbally.
- Confidentiality agreements do not excuse you from obtaining an export license if one is necessary.
- Penalties for committing an export control violation can be severe and include substantial fines, penalties, incarceration, suspension and debarment from federal funds, and loss of export privileges.
For more information, please contact:
Maria Baratta, email@example.com
Kristin Doyle, firstname.lastname@example.org
Adria Perez, email@example.com
Gunjan Talati, firstname.lastname@example.org